Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Intern Diaries : Day One



DAY ONE is complete!

I loved every bit of my first day as an intern. If I haven't stated already, my internship is with a florist. Even though at this point my goal is to be a wedding planner, I felt it necessary to get my foot in the door in any way possible. I truly believe there is something to be gained from every opportunity and so why not learn more about flowers? My first day proved that this is exactly what I should be doing right now. Lets break it down.

I arrived to the flower studio at 9 a.m. to help load up the truck with floral arrangements, and decorations for two separate weddings. One wedding was a lavender/wood theme, the other was a citrus/beach theme. Myself, the Florist, and a Wedding Planner (friend of the Florist) loaded up the truck as well as my car and headed northbound for an hour long drive to Yacolt, WA where the Lavender wedding was to take place.
This was the back of my car. Full of lavender wreaths, jars, boutonnieres, and tree trunk decorations.

The Wedding venue was called Pomeroy Historic Farm, and let me tell you: it was gorgeous. Unbelievable setting with cottagey-barn, horses, rolling hills, and trees everywhere. We unloaded the cars and decorated the alter/archway. I was honored to be working alongside people who have actually made careers for themselves in this industry. It was also great just to be involved in someone's wedding day. The groom was calmly observing the preparations, and a newly engaged couple was touring the place to see if it was for them.

Next we were to wait for some friends to bring the wedding cake that they had picked up from a bakery that morning. Once the friends arrived, I experienced my first ever wedding day catastrophe. As we opened the box that contains the two-tiered cake we were suppose to decorate, we discovered that the cake is lopsided, and cracked along the bottom tier. The only way to fix the cake it seemed was to start over. Needless to say, we couldn't decorate the cake, we had to inform the groom of the problem and give our most empathetic apologies. We cleaned up our things and this ended my day one on the job. I hope their cake was fixed!!

Next Saturday on Day Two of my internship I will be starting my day off by transporting 200 cupcakes + labels to a high-end wedding an hour away. You can bet I'm a little intimidated and very excited.

All in all, after day one, I can honestly say I am so excited about the opportunity to be working with these people. I met some pretty great people just after the first day. I wonder what else these next 3 months have in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment